Cressey Road United Methodist Church
Sunday, September 23, 2018
Making Disciples for Jesus Christ

History of Cressey Road UMC


A Basic History of the Cressey Road United Methodist Church

          The first recorded mention of the Methodist Church in Gorham, Maine was in a history of the town written in 1862. It stated that "the Methodist Society of Gorham, Buxton, and Standish [was] incorporated by act of the General Court of Massachusetts" around 1804. In 1874 the "Methodist Meeting House was built on North Street to replace an earlier building." Then, in 1880, the School Street Methodist Church was built in the center village of the town.

            Ten years ago, the church made a decision to leave their School Street location and build a new building that would have a larger, more open sanctuary, a larger fellowship hall, more Sunday school classrooms, and a library. It would also be handicap-accessible and have off-street parking, a major deficit of the 1880-era church that had to compete with another nearby church for the limited on-street spots. This new church was built upon land that was donated by a congregant, and which was only three-quarters of a mile outside the village center. It should be noted that the land was NOT donated until the congregation had officially decided to move from the School Street location.